Atlantic Steel's history dated back to 1901 when it was founded as the Atlanta Hoop Company, with 120 employees, and which produced cotton bale ties and barrel hoops. It became the Atlanta Steel Company, and then in December 1915, the Atlantic Steel Company.
By 1952, the plant had 2,100 employees and was producing not only hoops and ties, but also "poultry and field fence, barbed wire, angles, round bars, channels, tees, handrail, reinforcing bars, nails, rivets, welding rods, shackles, [forgings] and fence posts".
The plant's "deep-throated" steam whistle was named "Mr. Tom", after Tom Glenn, an early president of the company.
In 1997, of the 1,400 employees in 1979, there were only 400 remaining.
- 1998-9 images of Atlantic Steel
- "The Atlantic Steel Company", Atlantic Station Living
- Hal Jacobs, "Forging a forgotten century", Creative Loafing, December 12, 1998