Chaplain of the United States Coast Guard
|Chaplain of the|
United States Coast Guard
|First holder||CAPT Eddy B. Moran|
The Chaplain of the United States Coast Guard (COCG) is the senior chaplain of the United States Coast Guard (USCG) and is attached to USCG headquarters in Washington, D.C. as a United States Navy Chaplain Corps officer who reports directly to the Commandant of the Coast Guard. The current Chaplain of the Coast Guard is Captain Thomas Walcott, USN.
The Chaplain of the Coast Guard serves as the Commandant's senior advisor on matters pertaining to chaplains and the free exercise of religion as enshrined in First Amendment to the United States Constitution as exercised by USCG personnel and their eligible family members. Chaplains provide religious ministry, advocate for and promote the well-being of USCG personnel, and serve as command liaison officers to civilian religious leaders, communities, organizations and agencies. The duties of the office are described in the Commandant's Religious Ministries in the Coast Guard instruction.
The USCG does not have an organic chaplain corps; chaplains from the United States Navy Chaplain Corps are assigned to the USCG to serve in USCG billets. Traditionally, documents such as the USCG Chaplains Orientation Manual provided guidance for Navy chaplains assigned to USCG duties. Chaplains are clergy who hail from many different faiths and denominations and may be ordained or appointed as ministers, priests, imams, and rabbis by their denomination.
U.S. Coast Guard Chaplains
|Name||Photo||Term began||Term ended|
|1.||CAPT Eddy B. Moran||1983||1986|
|2.||CAPT Richard A. Plishker||1986||1989|
|3.||CAPT James G. Goode||1989||1992|
|4.||CAPT Thomas K. Chadwick||1992||1995|
|5.||CAPT Skip Blancett||1995||1998|
|6.||CAPT Leroy Gilbert||1998||2002|
|7.||CAPT Wilbur C. Douglass, III||2002||2006|
|8.||CAPT William F. Cuddy, Jr.||2006||2010|
|9.||CAPT Gary P. Weeden||June 11, 2010||March 2014|
|10.||CAPT Gregory N. Todd||June 23, 2014||April 12, 2018|
|11.||CAPT Thomas J. Walcott||April 12, 2018||Incumbent|
- United States military chaplains
- Chiefs of Chaplains of the United States
- Chaplain's Medal for Heroism
- Armed Forces Chaplains Board
- Chief of Chaplains of the United States Navy
- United States Navy Chaplain Corps
- Badges of the United States Coast Guard
- United States Coast Guard
- "Religious Ministries in the Coast Guard" (PDF). Retrieved June 22, 2018.
- "Locations" of Navy chaplains assigned to USCG (June 5, 2009). U.S. Coast Guard official website (Chaplain of the Coast Guard). Retrieved 2009-12-03.
- "Manual" (PDF). Retrieved June 22, 2018. includes "Coast Guard Map of Areas & Districts", "Part A – General Orientation", "USCG Chaplain Orientation Process", "Chapter Two – Coast Guard Chaplains", "History of Coast Guard Chaplains", "Mission of Coast Guard Chaplains", "Coast Guard Chaplains Organizational Structure", "Role of Coast Guard Chaplains", "Part B: Plan of Ministry for Coast Guard Chaplains".