Corregimiento (Spanish: [korexiˈmjento]; Catalan: Corregiment, IPA: [kurəʒiˈmen]) is a Spanish term used for country subdivisions for royal administrative purposes, ensuring districts were under crown control as opposed to local elites. A corregimiento was usually headed by a corregidor.
In Old Castile corregimientos existed since the 13th century and were the administrative divisions of the Junta General de las Siete Merindades de Castilla Vieja. After the Nueva Planta decrees under the rule of Philip V—the first Bourbon king of Spain, the corregidor was replaced by an intendant. Corregimientos in Castile existed until 1835, the year in which the municipal administration was reorganized under Queen Isabel II.
Crown of Aragon
In the territories of Aragon, Catalonia, and the Land of Valencia formerly under the ancient Crown of Aragon, the corregimiento (Catalan: Corregiment) replaced the former administrative divisions following the Nueva Planta decrees. However, corregimientos disappeared in this area during the French occupation, being replaced by the territorial divisions of the French military rulers. Corregimientos were finally superseded following the territorial division of Spain in 1833.
Captaincy General of Guatemala
The corregimientos of Colombia are smaller units than the historical ones. The word is used for the population centers that don't reach the level of municipality. They are thus under a municipality or a department.
The corregimientos of Panama are district subdivisions. They are led by the Representante de Corregimiento, also known as a corregidor.
- Rafael Sánchez Domingo, Las merindades de Castilla Vieja y su Junta General, La Olmeda, Burgos, 1994 ISBN 84-7009-411-4
- Real Decreto de 23 de julio de 1835
- Vicent Giménez Chornet, Compte i raó: la hisenda municipal de la ciutat de València en el segle XVIII, Universitat de València, 2002, ISBN 978-84-370-5399-8
- Eliseo Serrano Martín, El Matarraña y la Historia Moderna. Portal Aragon.
- Limón Aguirre, Fernando (2008). "La ciudadanía del pueblo chuj en México: Una dialéctica negativa de identidades" (PDF) (in Spanish). San Cristóbal de Las Casas, Mexico: El Colegio de la Frontera Sur – Unidad San Cristóbal de Las Casas. p. 12. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-04-02. Retrieved 2013-10-25.