First Church of Christ, Scientist (Atlanta)
|First Church of Christ, Scientist|
The church in 2009
|Architectural style||Greek revival|
|Town or city||Atlanta, Georgia|
|Client||First Church of Christ, Scientist|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Arthur Neal Robinson|
First Church of Christ, Scientist is the main congregation for Atlanta, Georgia’s Christian Science community. Its historic Greek revival church edifice is located on the corner of Fifteenth Street, N.E., and Peachtree Street in the city's Midtown section and is a contributing property in the Ansley Park Historic District.
The church was opened in 1914, replacing a smaller church building at 17 West Baker Street, where services were held since 1899. The church's architect, Arthur Neal Robinson with Edward Emmett Dougherty's firm, was also a congregant. The church claims to be the first air-conditioned building in Atlanta, having used a primitive system of involving fans blowing over blocks of ice placed in the passages beneath the floor of the main auditorium.
- Ansley Park Historic District-Atlanta: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary
- "First Church of Christ, Scientist, Atlanta, GA". Archived from the original on December 3, 2008. Retrieved May 12, 2008.
- Official web site
- Review of the church’s architecture
- Architecture Tourist: First Church of Christ, Scientist, Atlanta