Grant City Park (Grant, Nebraska)
Grant City Park
The Grant City Park band shell
|Location||Bounded by Central Ave., 9th St., alley line and 8th St., Grant, Nebraska|
|Area||8.5 acres (3.4 ha)|
|NRHP reference #||96000066|
|Added to NRHP||February 16, 1996|
Grant City Park is a public park in Grant, Nebraska. The Works Progress Administration constructed the park between 1936 and 1939. Before the park's creation, Grant had no public parks other than a public swimming pool and softball field; recognizing a need for additional recreation facilities, the city's Garden Club convinced the Village Board of Trustees to approve a public park in 1935.
The main feature of the park is an arched concrete band shell. The band shell hosted free concerts from its construction through the 1960s. Thirty concrete and wood benches provide seating for spectators at the band shell. A 33-by-20-foot (10.1 by 6.1 m) concrete fountain, now used as a flower bed, is located in front of the band shell's stage. The park also includes two stone entrances: an arched main entrance at its southeast corner and a walled southern entrance leading to a tiered rock garden. Recreational facilities at the park include tennis courts and a swimming pool, the latter of which was added in the 1960s.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- Ahlgren, Carol; Damon Jones (September 1995). "National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Grant City Park". National Park Service. Retrieved December 3, 2013. Accompanied by photos.