|• Total||636 km2 (246 sq mi)|
|• Density||120/km2 (300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
Osterode (German pronunciation: [ɔstəˈʁoːdə]) was a district in Lower Saxony, Germany. It was bounded by (from the southwest and clockwise) the districts of Göttingen, Northeim and Goslar, and by the state of Thuringia (districts of Nordhausen and Eichsfeld).
This part of the Harz mountains was ruled by the Welfen dynasty from the 12th century on. Osterode was the centre of the Principality of Brunswick-Grubenhagen, one of many small states within Brunswick-Lüneburg. Later this principality became part of Hanover, which in turn fell to the Kingdom of Prussia in 1866. In 1885 the Prussian administration established districts, among them Osterode.
Coat of arms
The coat of arms displayed two heraldic lions. The lion in the upper part was from the arms of Hanover, the lower lion represented the Welfen dynasty.
Towns and municipalities
- Harz (Landkreis Osterode am Harz) (267.37 km², uninhabited)
|1seat of the Samtgemeinde|
- "Gebietsänderungsvertrag zwischen den Landkreisen Göttingen und Osterode am Harz" [Treaty between the districts of Göttingen and Osterode am Harz] (PDF) (in German). District of Osterode. 1 February 2014.
Media related to Landkreis Osterode am Harz at Wikimedia Commons
- Local history (German)