Saint John, Jersey
Location of Saint John in Jersey
|Crown Dependency||Jersey, Channel Islands|
|• Connétable||Philip J Rondel|
|• Total||8.7 km2 (3.4 sq mi)|
|Area rank||Ranked 9th|
|• Density||330/km2 (870/sq mi)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+01|
Largely a rural community, the parish has a small shopping area, and village pub, around its parish church and parish hall.
The cliffs of the north coast afford some of the best views in Jersey. After Trinity, it has the second highest point in Jersey at Mont Mado (473 ft). The parish covers territory of 4,846 vergées (8.7 km².).
Mont Mado granite was quarried historically. The largest quarry is now that of Ronez on the north coast.
La Route du Nord was constructed during the German occupation of the Channel Islands as a scheme to provide work. The road is now dedicated to the men and women of Jersey who suffered 1939-1945.
The parish is divided into vingtaines for administrative purposes as follows:
The parish is one electoral district and elects one Deputy.
St John is twinned with:
St John Coat of Arms
The symbol for St John has links to the Crusades and the Maltese cross is used within Jersey to depict the Parish of St John.
Saint John is the second least populated parish of Jersey, having only 2,911 residents as of 2011.
- "Members". Statesassembly.gov.je. Retrieved 2012-10-04.
- "BBC News - Jersey parish hall completed but comes in over budget". Bbc.co.uk. 2010-08-28. Retrieved 2012-10-04.
- "Threat to 30 jobs at Ronez « This Is Jersey". Thisisjersey.com. 2008-10-03. Retrieved 2012-10-04.