Shantar Sea

Jump to navigation Jump to search

The Shantar Sea (Russian: Шантарское море) is a small coastal sea in the northwestern Sea of Okhotsk.

It is bounded to the north by Bolshoy Shantar Island, to the east by Malyy Shantar Island, and to the south by Tugur Bay.

History

The sea was frequented by American whaleships hunting bowhead whales between 1853 and 1874.[1] Russian schooners from Mamga also cruised for bowheads in the sea from 1865 to 1871.[2]

References

  1. ^ Florida, of Fairhaven, Aug. 1, Sep. 17-20, 1853, Old Dartmouth Historical Society (ODHS); Sea Breeze, of New Bedford, Aug. 12-14, 1874, G. W. Blunt White Library (GBWL).
  2. ^ Lindholm, O. V., Haes, T. A., & Tyrtoff, D. N. (2008). Beyond the frontiers of imperial Russia: From the memoirs of Otto W. Lindholm. Javea, Spain: A. de Haes OWL Publishing.

Coordinates: 54°40′N 137°00′E / 54.667°N 137.000°E / 54.667; 137.000

The article is a derivative under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. A link to the original article can be found here and attribution parties here. By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use. Gpedia Ⓡ is a registered trademark of the Cyberajah Pty Ltd.