T. J. Jones
|Born:||July 19, 1992|
|Height:||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight:||190 lb (86 kg)|
|NFL Draft:||2014 / Round: 6 / Pick: 189|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 2, 2019|
Tai-ler "T. J." Fitzgerald Jones (born July 19, 1992) is an American football wide receiver who is currently a free agent, having most recently played for the New York Giants of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Detroit Lions in the sixth round of the 2014 NFL Draft. He played college football at Notre Dame.
High school career
Jones attended Gainesville High School in Gainesville, Georgia. He was named MaxPreps.com second-team All-American as senior in 2009. He finished his senior season with 76 receptions for 1,399 yards and 18 touchdowns, which earned him all-state honors, while helping Gainesville get to the Georgia state championship game for the first time since 1982. He caught 81 passes for 979 yards as junior in 2008.
Jones enrolled early at Notre Dame in January 2010. As a true freshman, he worked his way onto the field, playing in 12 games, starting 7, while catching 23 passes for 306 yards and three touchdowns. Jones became a full-time starter for the Irish in 2011. He played in all 13 games, starting every game but one, and recorded 38 receptions for 366 yards and three touchdowns. In 2012, Jones had his best season yet for the Fighting Irish, accumulating 50 receptions for 649 yards and 4 touchdowns. His year was highlighted by a game winning catch against Stanford in overtime and a berth to the 2013 BCS National Championship Game in Miami, Florida. In the National Championship game, Jones recorded 6 receptions for 90 yards in a 42-14 loss versus Alabama. In his senior season, he set career highs in receptions (70), receiving yards (1,108), and receiving touchdowns (9). He also rushed for 67 yards on nine carries (7.4 avg), scoring two touchdowns.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad|
|6 ft 0 in
|30 5⁄8 in
|4.48 s||1.54 s||2.59 s||4.27 s||6.82 s||33 in
|9 ft 11 in|
|All values from NFL Combine|
On August 23, 2014, Jones was placed on the PUP (physically unable to perform) list with a shoulder injury.
In 2017, Jones played in 14 games with six starts, recording a career-high 30 catches for 399 yards and one touchdown. He suffered a shoulder injury in Week 15 and was placed on injured reserve on December 19, 2017.
On April 9, 2018, the Lions re-signed Jones to a one-year contract.
New York Giants
Jones was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, where his father, Andre Jones, was a member starting defensive end of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Andre was best known for being a member of the 1988 Notre Dame Fighting Irish football team. Jones is part Korean.
Jones' godfather is Raghib "Rocket" Ismail, a former NFL and CFL wide receiver and former Notre Dame star. His younger brother, Malachi Jones, a former Appalachian State football player, also played for the Atlanta Falcons and most recently, the Chicago Bears. He was named the 2018 Rookie & Receiver of the Year of the Arena Football League (AFL) as a member of the Albany Empire. His other younger brother, Jahmai Jones was drafted by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim as the 70th overall pick in the 2nd round of the 2015 MLB Draft.
- T. J. Jones - Yahoo Sports
- "NFL Draft Profile: T. J. Jones". NFL.com. Retrieved December 21, 2018.
- "2014 NFL Draft results: Lions pick TJ Jones". PrideOfDetroit.com. May 10, 2014.
- Tim Twentyman on Twitter: The #Lions have also placed TJ Jones on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform.
- "Lions establish 53-man roster". DetroitLions.com. September 3, 2016. Archived from the original on October 15, 2017.
- "Lions sign 8 players to team's practice squad". DetroitLions.com. September 4, 2016. Archived from the original on October 15, 2017.
- "Lions sign WR TJ Jones to active roster and activate DE Armonty Bryant". DetroitLions.com. December 3, 2016.
- "Lions sign WR Andy Jones to active roster, place WR TJ Jones on IR". DetroitLions.com. December 19, 2017.
- "Lions re-sign restricted free agent WR TJ Jones". Detroit Lions. April 9, 2018. Retrieved April 9, 2018.
- "Giants sign receivers Amba Etta-Tawo and T.J. Jones to reinforce an ailing receiving corps". Big Blue View. SB Nation. July 27, 2019.
- Eisen, Michael (August 31, 2019). "New York Giants announce 53-man roster". Giants.com.
- Eisen, Michael (September 1, 2019). "TJ Jones signs with Giants, Kareem Martin to IR". Giants.com.
- Eisen, Michael (October 1, 2019). "Giants activate WR Golden Tate Sign LB Josiah Tauaefa Among Other Roster Moves". Giants.com.
- Jones following in father's footsteps
- Angels select Georgia HS OF Jahmai Jones with 2nd-round pick in draft
- Ossad, Jordana (December 7, 2015). "'CHALLENGE' VET THERESA GONZALEZ WELCOMES HER VERY OWN MINI-ME". Retrieved December 7, 2015.