The Daily Independent (Ashland newspaper)
|Owner(s)||Community Newspaper Holdings Inc.|
|Founded||December 17, 1896|
|Headquarters||224 17th Street|
Ashland, Kentucky 41101 United States
The Daily Independent (also known as The Sunday Independent and formerly known as The Independent from 2003 to 2015) is a seven-day morning daily newspaper covering the city of Ashland and surrounding areas of Boyd County, Kentucky. It is owned by Community Newspaper Holdings Inc.
Launched December 17, 1896 as the Tri-State Independent Col. G. F. Friel of nearby Catlettsburg, Kentucky, the newspaper moved to 12th Street and Greenup Avenue in Ashland in 1900 as the Ashland Daily Independent; it absorbed the Ashland Commercial in the move. The first publication after the move was on December 17. The offices later relocated to 17th Street two years later, when it purchased the Ashland Daily News and discontinued it in that year. In 1920, it founded the Sunday Independent, and five years later, it doubled the size of its headquarters on 17th Street.
After years of publishing in the afternoon on weekdays (and morning on weekends), The Independent switched to all-morning publication in May 2003, and dropped the "Daily" and "Sunday" from its nameplate. The newspaper's Website, however, retains the old name as part of its URL. However, as of 2015, the newspaper brought back "The Daily Independent" and "The Sunday Independent" namesake, following a redesign.
Colonel B.F. Forgey, an Ohio native who bought half an interest in the paper in 1910, is credited with guiding the paper's growth until his death in 1952. The newspaper continued to be privately owned until Ottaway Community Newspapers bought it in 1979, selling it to CNHI in 2002. The circulation in 1920 was 3,500 but increased to 17,000 by 1954 and peaked at 25,000 in 1980.
- "A history of Ashland, Kentucky, 1786–1954." Ashland Centennial Committee. 1954. 2 January 2007.
- Daily Independent: About Us, accessed January 19, 2007.
- "A history of Ashland, Kentucky, 1854–2004." Ashland Bicentennial Committee. 2004. 2 January 2007.