Touro University Nevada
|Motto||To Serve, To Lead, To Teach|
|Touro College and University System|
|Students||1,378 (60 undergraduate)|
Touro University Nevada (TUN) is a private university in Henderson, Nevada. It is part of the Touro College and University System. Touro University Nevada is a branch campus of its sister campus Touro University California.
Touro University Nevada was established to help address critical needs in health care and education, and as a resource for community service in Nevada. A non-profit, Jewish-sponsored, private institution affiliated with an international system of higher education, the university opened in 2004 with 78 medical students. Touro University Nevada is home to more than 1,300 students in a wide range of degree programs in osteopathic medicine, nursing, physical therapy, occupational therapy, physician assistant studies, camp administration and education. Many of these programs are the first of their kind in Nevada. The College of Osteopathic Medicine was Nevada's first osteopathic medical school and the state’s second medical school.
TUN has two colleges
- College of Health and Human Services
- College of Osteopathic Medicine
The College of Osteopathic Medicine at Touro University Nevada is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association's Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA). Touro University Nevada has also received accreditation from the Nevada Commission on Postsecondary Education, the American Physical Therapy Association's Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education, and the American Occupational Therapy Association's Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education.
Graduate medical education
Touro University Nevada is the academic sponsor of Valley Hospital’s graduate medical residency program, providing training opportunities for Touro students and post-graduate education for medical residents.
The program currently includes 16 traditional internships – slots for first year trainees who will ultimately progress into other specialties; the largest single internal medicine residency program in the osteopathic medical profession (45 slots); family medicine residency program, an orthopedic surgery residency program, an ophthalmology residency program, the only dermatology residency program, and a neurology residency program.
Center for Autism and Developmental Disabilities Developed to address a growing community need, Touro University Nevada’s Center for Autism and Developmental Disabilities is a multi-disciplinary, one-stop source for diagnostic services, therapy and supportive resources for families dealing with autism and other developmental disorders. This team approach affords individualized treatment programs based on each child’s individual needs. The center also serves as a learning laboratory for university students across the disciplines.
Active Aging Center - Expected to break ground in Dec. 2013, this clinic will provide unique care to the local geriatric population.
Touro Health Center The university has also recently opened its first full-service patient clinic, staffed by practicing faculty members and open to the community. The medical clinic provides on-site learning opportunities for students, as well as a venue for future clinical research trials. An expanded patient clinic is planned for the next phase of the university’s build-out.
Physical Therapy Clinic Recently, Touro University Nevada opened a free physical therapy clinic run by TUN physical therapy students that are supervised by licensed physical therapy faculty.
Touro University Nevada faculty specialize in a wide range of basic and applied research in fields including: autism, cardiovascular physiology, cell biology, evolutionary biology, infectious diseases, neuroscience, osteopathic manipulative medicine, oncology, regenerative medicine, and women's health. Research conducted at Touro University Nevada has been funded by grants from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and the Schultz Engel Purpose Trust.
To accommodate growth and focus resources on academic needs, Touro University Nevada purchased two existing, flexible shell buildings within Henderson’s Black Mountain Business Parks. Touro University Nevada currently occupies 142,000 sq ft (13,200 m2) the first building with classrooms and laboratories, offices, a university library, common spaces and clinics. The university will more than double its space with the next expansion of building one, adding 165,000 sq ft (15,300 m2). Building two is currently occupied by rental tenants, and holds 200,000 sq ft (19,000 m2) of space that the university may use for growth.
- "Touro University Nevada". Institute of Education Sciences National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 4 July 2012.
- "Touro University Nevada College of Osteopathic Medicine (TUNCOM)" (PDF). American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine. Retrieved 8 March 2012.
- "Report of the WASC Visiting Team Educational Effectiveness Review" (PDF). Touro University Nevada. 2010. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "PA Students and Information". Nevada Academy of Physician Assistants. 2010. Archived from the original on 2012-12-08. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- "Osteopathic Graduate Medical Education". Valley Hospital Medical Center. Retrieved 8 March 2012.
- "GME Family Medicine Las Vegas | Valley Hospital Medical Center". Valleyhospital.net. Retrieved 2012-07-02.
- "Graduate Medical Education Orthopedics Las Vegas | Valley Hospital Medical Center". Valleyhospital.net. Retrieved 2012-07-02.
- "Ophthalmology Residency Program Las Vegas | Valley Hospital Medical Center". Valleyhospital.net. Retrieved 2012-07-02.
- "Neurology Residency Program Las Vegas | Valley Hospital Medical Center". Valleyhospital.net. Retrieved 2012-07-02.
- "Touro University Nevada launches geriatric medicine fellowship". The DO. American Osteopathic Association. January 18, 2017.
- "Center for Autism and Developmental Disabilities | Touro University Nevada". Tun.touro.edu. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- "Health Center | Touro University Nevada". Tun.touro.edu. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- "Touro University Nevada Physical Therapy Students Launch Clinic" (PDF). Touro University Nevada. 2011. Retrieved 4 July 2012.
- "Specialties". Touro University Nevada. 2010. Archived from the original on 2012-11-09. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "Grants". Touro University Nevada. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "Economic Development Business Parks". City of Henderson, Nevada. 2012. Retrieved 4 July 2012.