Trout House

Jump to navigation Jump to search

Trout House visible at back of this photo of State Square during Civil War, when the square was the site of a "tent hospital"

The Trout House was one of three hotels in antebellum Atlanta, Georgia, along with the Atlanta Hotel and Washington Hall. It was built in 1849 by John F. Trout. It was a four-story brick building at the southwest corner of Decatur and Pryor Streets, facing the union depot and State Square.[1]

Confederate President Jefferson Davis spoke here during his visit to Atlanta of February 16, 1861, although he did not spend the night.[2]

The hotel was destroyed during General Sherman's burning of Atlanta.

See also

References

Coordinates: 33°45′14″N 84°23′22″W / 33.7538°N 84.3895°W / 33.7538; -84.3895

The article is a derivative under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. A link to the original article can be found here and attribution parties here. By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use. Gpedia Ⓡ is a registered trademark of the Cyberajah Pty Ltd.