List of Khmer words of Chinese origin
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Words of Chinese origin have entered the Khmer language and many Asian languages.
The following is a list of words and names that have entered the Khmer language from Chinese, chiefly through the Vietnamese language.
- កុកងឺ (kok ŋɨɨ): from 國語; Mandarin Chinese
- កួន (kuən): from 觀. (cf: ចាវតាកួន/周達觀)
- កៅ (kav): from 九; 9 or 90.
- ខិក (kʰək): from 客; Hakka Chinese
- គាវ (kiev): from 餃; dumplings, potstickers, wontons.
- គិម (kim): (see: គីម)
- គីម (kiim): from 金; gold or metal.
- គុយទាវ (kuy tiev): from 粿條; a noodle soup of rice noodles with pork stock and other ingredients.
- គូលី (kuulii): from 苦力; coolie or laborer.
- ចាវ (caav): from 周; the surname Zhou
- ចិន (cən): from 中; China/Chinese.
- ចែ (cae): from 姐; older sister.
- ឆន (cʰɑɑn): from 終; whole, complete, entire.
- ឆៃថាវ (cʰay tʰaav): from 菜头; Chinese turnip.
- ជិត (cɨt): from 七; 7 or 70.
- តា (taa kuən): from 達. (cf: ចាវតាកួន/周達觀)
- តៀជីវ (tie ciiv): from 潮州; Teochew/Chaozhou
- ទុង (tuŋ): from 東. (cf: 毛澤東; Mao Tse Tong)
- បាញ់កាញ់ (baɲ kaɲ): from 餅羮; kind of soup made with flat noodles.
- បាញ់ឆែវ (baɲ cʰaev): from 餅饒; a kind of Vietnamese fried pancake made with rice flour, turmeric powder, and water, filled with fatty pork and shrimp, bean sprouts and diced green onions.
- ប៉ែត (paet): from 八; 8 or 80.
- ប៉ោ (pao): from 牌九; a kind of Chinese gambling game.
- ផាវ (phaav): from 炮; firecrackers.
- មី (mi): from 米粉; noodles.
- ម៉ុង (moŋ): from 墓; grave.
- មេ (mei): from 妹; little sister.
- ម៉ៅ (mav): from 毛; the Surname Mao
- ម៉ៅសេទុង (mav se tuŋ): from 毛泽东/毛澤東; Mao Tse Tong.
- យ៉ាវ (yaav): from 菠蘿油, kind of Chinese pastry.
- លិម (lim): (see: លីម)
- លី (lii): from 李; doctrine, precepts, or tenets.
- លីម (liim): from 林; forest, grove, the Surname Lim.
- លឺ (lɨɨ): from 汝; you (speaking to a Chinese person).
- សាម (saam): from 三; 3 or 30.
- សិន (sən): from 森; forest, the Surname Sin.
- ស៊ិនសែ (sin sae): from 先生; teacher, (Chinese) doctor, fortune-teller.
- ស៊ិនហួ (sin huə): from 新華; Xinhua Chinese News Agency.
- សិប (səp): from 十; 10.
- ស៊ុយ (suy): from 推; to ponder over or to think carefully.
- សេ (se): from 澤. (cf: 毛澤東; Mao Tse Tong)
- សែ (sae): from 四; 4 or 40.
- សែ (sae): from 姓; clan, lineage, family name, surname.
- សំលាញ់ (sɑmlaɲ): from ស្រលេញ, possibly ultimately from Middle Chinese 生 (*shræŋ); friend, buddy, lover.
- ស្រលាញ់ (srɑlaɲ): from ស្រលេញ, possibly ultimately from Middle Chinese 生 (*shræŋ); to love.
- ស្រ៊ុន (srun): from 順, harmonious, favorable, or convenient; surname.
- ហា (haa): from 五, 5 or 50.
- ហាង (haaŋ): from 行, store or shop.
- ហុក (hok): from 六, 6 or 60.
- ហុកកៀន (hok kien): from 福建, Hokkien.
- ហួរ (huə): from 华/華, prosperous, talented, luxurious, or elite.
- ហេង (heŋ): from 幸, happiness or honor.
- អុងឡូវ (ʔoŋ ləv): [See: អាំងឡូវ]
- អាំងឡូវ (ʔaŋ ləv): from 熔炉/熔爐; kind of Chinese stove made of clay, oven, portable earthenware brazier.
- អៀវ (ʔiev): from 一, one (used in a Chinese gambling game).
- ឱក (ʔaok): from 玉; jade, the Surname Aok/Ok.