OKFN Main logo
|ទីតាំង||37 Panton Street, Cambridge, CB2 1HL, UK|
|បុគ្គលចម្បងៗ||Rufus Pollock, Jonathan Gray|
|វិស័យ||Open knowledge broadly, including open access, open content, open science and open data.|
|បាវចនា||Sonnets to statistics, genes to geodata...|
មូលនិធិចំណេះដឹងបើកចំហ(អង់គ្លេស ៖ Open Knowledge Foundation អក្សរកាត់ OKF) is a nonprofit organization that promotes open knowledge, including open content and open data. It was founded 24 May 2004 in Cambridge, UK. The foundation has published the Open Knowledge Definition and runs several projects, such as CKAN, the data portal software used by many governments for their open data projects and Where Does My Money Go, a service to monitor government spending. As well as technical tools, the foundation also provides advocacy and licensing advice around open content issues. For example, it supported the development of the Open Database Licence (ODbL) and the Open Knowledge Definition.
The aims of the Open Knowledge Foundation are:
- Promoting the idea of open knowledge, both what it is, and why is it a good idea.
- Running open knowledge events, such as OKCon.
- Working on open knowledge projects, such as Open Economics or Open Shakespeare
- Providing infrastructure, and potentially a home, for open knowledge projects, communities and resources. For example, the KnowledgeForge service and CKAN.
- Acting at UK, European and international levels on open knowledge issues.
The current Open Knowledge Foundation Board is made up of:
Most of the foundation's projects are technical in nature. Its most prominent project, CKAN, is used by many of the world's governments to host open catalogues of data that their countries possess.
The organisation tends to support its aims by hosting infrastructure for semi-independent projects to develop. This approach to organising was hinted as one of its earliest projects was a project management service called KnowledgeForge, which runs on the KForge platform. KnowledgeForge allows sectoral working groups to have space to manage projects related to open knowledge. More widely, the project infrastructure includes both technical and face-to-face aspects. The organisation hosts several dozen mailing lists for virtual discussion, utilises IRC for real-time communications and and also hosts events.
OKFN is an active partner with organisations working in similar areas, such as open educational resources.
The foundation places a strong interest in the use of open source technologies. Each of its software projects are hosted on Bitbucket, which utilises the Mercurial version control software. Some of the projects are listed below:
- CKAN, a tool that provides store for metadata. This enables governments to quickly and cheaply provide a catalogue of their data.
- Data Hub, a community-run catalogue of useful sets of data on the Internet.Depending on the type of data (and its conditions of use), the Data Hub may also be able to store a copy of the data or host it in a database, and provide some basic visualisation tools.
- Open bibliography, broadly construed as efforts to catalogue and build tools for working with and publishing bibliographic resources, with particular emphasis on those works that are in the public domain and public domain calculators. Examples include the Bibliographica, Public Domain Works, Open Shakespeare, Open Text Book and The Public Domain Review projects.
- Open Economics
- Open Knowledge Forums
- Information Accessibility Initiative
- Open geodata
- Guide to open data licensing
- The annual Open Knowledge Conference (OKCon)
- "Get the Data" — a web-site for questions and answer on how to get data sets.
Much of the collaboration with other related organisations occurs via events that the foundation hosts. Its premier event is the Open Knowledge Conference (OKCon), which has been held annually since 2007. Other events have been organised within the areas of data visualisation and free information network infrastructure.
Annually, OKF opens the biggest event internationally for Open Data called International Open Data Hackthon.
- Open Knowledge Foundation។ "About Us"។ http://okfn.org/about/។ បានយកមក 27 April 2011។
- "Open Knowledge Foundation Weblog » Blog Archive » Open Knowledge Foundation Launched"។ http://blog.okfn.org/2004/05/24/open-knowledge-foundation-launched/។ បានយកមក 2008-02-14។
- Doctorow, Cory។ "Superb data-visualization of UK government spending"។ Boing Boing។ http://www.boingboing.net/2009/12/11/superb-data-visualiz.html។ បានយកមក 27 April 2011។
- BBC News (11 December 2009)។ "Web to watch government spending"។ http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8407779.stm។ បានយកមក 27 April 2011។
- The Cabinet Office។ "Transparency - useful links"។ http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/content/transparency-useful-links។ បានយកមក 27 April 2011។
- Mathys, Tony; Kamel Boulos, Maged N (31 December 2010)។ "Geospatial resources for supporting data standards, guidance and best practice in health informatics"។ BMC Research Notes។ BioMed Central។ p. 19។ អ.វ.ល.:10.1186/1756-0500-4-19។ http://www.biomedcentral.com/1756-0500/4/19#IDA1O2IZ។
- Creative Commons។ "CC Salon Berlin and openeverything focus – Feb. 26"។ http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/12919។ បានយកមក 27 April 2011។
- Quilty-Harper, Conrad (July 2010)។ "The Government has unlocked the open data safe – now we must open it"។ London: The Telegraph។ http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/conradquiltyharper/100046396/the-government-has-unlocked-the-open-data-safe-now-we-must-open-it/។ បានយកមក 27 April 2011។
- Naone, Erica (April 2011)។ "Bye-bye, Open Data?"។ http://www.heise.de/tr/artikel/Bye-bye-Open-Data-1230464.html។ បានយកមក 27 April 2011។
- data.govt.uk។ "Project Info: Who is Involved with the project?"។ HM Government។ http://data.gov.uk/project#q6។ "These include the Comprehensive Knowledge Archive Network (CKAN): CKAN stores the catalogue behind data.gov.uk and a growing number of open data registries around the world."
- Open Knowledge Foundation។ "lists.okfn.org Mailing Lists"។ http://lists.okfn.org/mailman/listinfo។ បានយកមក 27 April 2011។
- Open Educational Resources Commons។ "About"។ http://www.oercommons.org/about។ បានយកមក 27 April 2011។ "Strategic Development and Outreach Partners ... Open Knowledge Foundation"
- "Open Definition"។ Open Definition។ 2011-06-17។ http://opendefinition.org/។ បានយកមក 2012-05-15។
- "Open Software Service Definition Launched"។ http://blog.okfn.org/2008/07/14/open-software-service-definition-launched/។ បានយកមក 2008-08-25។
- Open Society Foundations (September 2010)។ "Public Feedback Solicited on Access to Information and Open Government Data"។ http://www.soros.org/initiatives/information/focus/communication/news/access-consultation-20100910។ បានយកមក 27 April 2011។ "Information Program grantee Access Info Europe, together with the Open Knowledge Foundation, are holding a public consultation on open government data and the right of access to information."
- Electronic Frontier Foundation។ "Digital Rights Management: A failure in the developed world, a danger to the developing world"។ https://www.eff.org/wp/digital-rights-management-failure-developed-world-danger-developing-world។ បានយកមក 27 April 2011។
- Dietrich, Daniel។ "Open Data Manual"។ http://opendatamanual.org/។
- data.govt.uk។ "New Public Sector Transparency Board and Public Data Transparency Principles"។ HM Government។ http://data.gov.uk/blog/new-public-sector-transparency-board-and-public-data-transparency-principles។ បានយកមក 27 April 2011។
- "projects - The Open Knowledge Foundation"។ http://www.okfn.org/projects។ បានយកមក 2008-02-14។ Open Knowledge Foundation Projects
- "Open Bibliography"។ JISC។ http://www.jisc.ac.uk/whatwedo/programmes/inf11/jiscexpo/jiscopenbib.aspx។ បានយកមក 2012-05-15។
- "Open bibliography and Open Bibliographic Data | Open Bibliographic Data Working Group of the Open Knowledge Foundation"។ Openbiblio.net។ http://openbiblio.net/។ បានយកមក 2012-05-15។
- "Open bibliography and Open Bibliographic Data"។ Bibliographica។ 2010-05-20។ http://bibliographica.org/។ បានយកមក 2012-05-15។
- "Home"។ Public Domain Works។ http://publicdomainworks.net/។ បានយកមក 2012-05-15។
- "Open Shakespeare"។ Open Shakespeare។ 2012-04-27។ http://openshakespeare.org/។ បានយកមក 2012-05-15។
- "Open Text Book"។ Open Text Book។ http://www.opentextbook.org/។ បានយកមក 2012-05-15។
- "ABOUT"។ The Public Domain Review។ Open Knowledge Foundation។ http://publicdomainreview.org/about/។ បានយកមក 16 April 2013។
- Holloway, Michael (March 2008)។ "PUBLIC SECTOR INFORMATION: OFFICIALLY BETTER WHEN SHARED"។ Digital Rights Group។ http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2008/public-sector-information-officially-better-when-shared។ បានយកមក 27 April 2011។ "And if you get excited by material that's free to access, reuse or re-distribute, then please come down to tomorrow's OKCon, for a day of seminars and workshops around the theme of 'Applications, Tools and Services'."
- Open Knowledge Foundation។ "About"។ http://okcon.org/about/។ បានយកមក 27 April 2011។ "The Annual [sic] Open Knowledge Conference (OKCon)"
- Gehelenborg, Nils។ "Workshop on Open Visualization"។ Nature Network។ http://network.nature.com/groups/scivis/forum/topics/1498។ បានយកមក 27 April 2011។
- Doctorow, Cory។ "Free Information Infrastructure event in London next weekend"។ http://www.boingboing.net/2005/09/26/free-information-inf.html។ បានយកមក 27 April 2011។