Recent deletion proceedings on Scotts Fork, VA
<--What exactly is the current status (and unavoidable immediate future) of this article, and what are the options for seeking a stay of execution? Scotts Fork is admittedly not exactly a newsmaking metropolis (probably much to the relief of local residents), but it's a lot more than just a placeholder in the GNIS. There's not a road map of Amelia County produced in the last 50 years, print or otherwise, on which the name doesn't show up; and the Virginia Dept of Transportation considers it noteworthy enough to list on mileage signs approaching it (one example is shown here): https://email@example.com,-77.8865709,3a,75y,182.82h,88.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJgx5aeNmXTCxtV6_VNptzA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Surely being small, quiet, and unobtrusive is not a capital crime...
Hello, I'd like to try and reverse the delete you made to Julie Arliss' page, can you help me with this?
Hello Daniel, a page that I created (Letha Weapons) was deleted as speedy deletion g4. Since I can't see the page I wrote or whatever was there previously, it is difficult to know if the pages are "substantially similar" or not. Liz suggested you might be willing to put copies somewhere so that I could see them. Thank you. Polycarpa aurata (talk) 00:17, 22 January 2022 (UTC)
Notification of VP discussion and indirect mention
A discussion you may be interested in has been opened regarding whether athletes meeting a sport-specific guideline must demonstrate GNG at AfD. You are also indirectly mentioned in comment. JoelleJay (talk) 22:23, 22 January 2022 (UTC)
The Signpost: 30 January 2022
News and updates for administrators from the past month (January 2022).
The Signpost: 27 February 2022
News and updates for administrators from the past month (February 2022).
Deletion review for Agra (2007 film)
An editor has asked for a deletion review of Agra (2007 film). Because you closed the deletion discussion for this page, speedily deleted it, or otherwise were interested in the page, you might want to participate in the deletion review. DareshMohan (talk) 23:14, 11 March 2022 (UTC)
Deletion review for Lucia, California
An editor has asked for a deletion review of Lucia, California. Because you closed the deletion discussion for this page, speedily deleted it, or otherwise were interested in the page, you might want to participate in the deletion review. — btphelps (talk to me) (what I've done) 06:08, 14 March 2022 (UTC)
Deleted article LiveWorkPlay (Again)
I would not expect you to remember this from about 4 months ago, but basically, you ended up helping me with a rather dodgy effort about removing the page LiveWorkPlay and ultimately it was reversed. Well, it has happened again - despite the page having now gone through multiple discussions and vetting. I don't have the skills or experience to understand how these processes are being utilized but I believe it is much the same as what was unearthed on the previous occasion when this occurred. Basically, the page has been removed under false pretences (again). Iamthekanadian (talk) 19:07, 22 March 2022 (UTC)
Sir you had previously deleted Aashay Mishra as per Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Aashay Mishra Mishra was not WP:N. Right now, he has done two lead roles and is also one of the leads in his current show Shubh Laabh - Aapkey Ghar Mein, so can I recreate his article? Commonedits (talk) 05:29, 25 March 2022 (UTC)
The Signpost: 27 March 2022
@Daniel: wondering if you know where to find this (deleted) article about Nijat Rahimov (Q67201844). Seems I cannot find any draft here. Thank you for your time. Lotje (talk) 12:55, 5 April 2022 (UTC)
News and updates for administrators from the past month (March 2022).
- Access to Special:RevisionDelete has been expanded to include users who have the
deletedhistoryrights. This means that those in the Researcher user group and Checkusers who are not administrators can now access Special:RevisionDelete. The users able to view the special page after this change are the 3 users in the Researcher group, as there are currently no checkusers who are not already administrators. (T301928)
- When viewing deleted revisions or diffs on Special:Undelete a back link to the undelete page for the associated page is now present. (T284114)
- Wikipedia:Arbitration Committee/Procedures § Opening of proceedings has been updated to reflect current practice following a motion.
- A arbitration case regarding Skepticism and coordinated editing has been closed.
- A arbitration case regarding WikiProject Tropical Cyclones has been opened.
- Voting for the Universal Code of Conduct Enforcement guidelines has closed, and the results were that 56.98% of voters supported the guidelines. The results of this vote mean the Wikimedia Foundation Board will now review the guidelines.
Nomination for deletion of Template:2006–07 A-League table
Template:2006–07 A-League table has been nominated for deletion. You are invited to comment on the discussion at the entry on the Templates for discussion page. Hhkohh (talk) 06:03, 10 April 2022 (UTC)
Restore Emiway Bantai Page.
New administrator activity requirement
|The administrator policy has been updated with new activity requirements following a successful Request for Comment.
Beginning January 1, 2023, administrators who meet one or both of the following criteria may be desysopped for inactivity if they have:
Administrators at risk for being desysopped under these criteria will continue to be notified ahead of time. Thank you for your continued work.
22:52, 15 April 2022 (UTC)
Undelete and userfy article request
Back in September you deleted Leah Boyd. Since that deletion discussion there has been another news story that includes substantial coverage of Boyd. Could you undelete the page and userfy it under my username?
The Signpost: 24 April 2022
- News and notes: Double trouble
- In the media: The battlegrounds outside and inside Wikipedia
- Special report: Ukrainian Wikimedians during the war
- Eyewitness Wikimedian – Vinnytsia, Ukraine: War diary (Part 2)
- Technology report: 8-year-old attribution issues in Media Viewer
- Featured content: Wikipedia's best content from March
- Interview: On a war and a map
- Serendipity: Wikipedia loves photographs, but hates photographers
- Traffic report: Justice Jackson, the Smiths, and an invasion
- News from the WMF: How Smart is the SMART Copyright Act?
- Humour: Really huge message boxes
- From the archives: Wales resigned WMF board chair in 2006 reorganization
News and updates for administrators from the past month (April 2022).
- Following an RfC, a change has been made to the administrators inactivity policy. Under the new policy, if an administrator has not made at least 100 edits over a period of 5 years they may be desysopped for inactivity.
- Following a discussion on the bureaucrat's noticeboard, a change has been made to the bureaucrats inactivity policy.
- The ability to undelete the associated talk page when undeleting a page has been added. This was the 11th wish of the 2021 Community Wishlist Survey.
- A public status system for WMF wikis has been created. It is located at https://www.wikimediastatus.net/ and is hosted separately to WMF wikis so in the case of an outage it will remain viewable.
- Remedy 2 of the St Christopher case has been rescinded following a motion. The remedy previously authorised administrators to place a ban on single-purpose accounts who were disruptively editing on the article St Christopher Iba Mar Diop College of Medicine or related pages from those pages.
Deletion review for Jeetu Kamal
An editor has asked for a deletion review of Jeetu Kamal. Because you closed the deletion discussion for this page, speedily deleted it, or otherwise were interested in the page, you might want to participate in the deletion review. Hrishikes (talk) 17:16, 20 May 2022 (UTC)
Restoring Page on Kamla Nath Sharma
Hello Daniel, I have intensively edited the page which was put back as Draft, and reduced it significantly, including the no. of references, by just retaining only the demonstrated and referenced books/material on the subject. All statements that could give semblance of 'publicity' have also been removed. I hope, it would meet the intended purpose. Your kind indulgence requested to restore the page to mainspace or for suggestions, if any. Aaditya.Bahuguna (talk) 14:15, 21 May 2022 (UTC)
- (talk page watcher) – @Aaditya.Bahuguna, Daniel hasn't been active for several months, so he may not be able to respond to you anytime soon. You can move your draft to mainspace yourself (see these instructions), but I recommend that you submit it through the Articles for Creation process (click here for instructions), in which an experienced volunteer will review your draft and either accept it or provide you with some feedback. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions. Extraordinary Writ (talk) 19:08, 21 May 2022 (UTC)
- Hello @Extraordinary WritExtraordinary Writ, I wish to thank you profusely for your indulgence in the absence of Daniel. The article on Kamla Nath Sharma (an engineer, researcher of Vedic Indian literature, and writer of Hindi language) which was put back as a draft article for further editing, has been thoroughly edited, pruned, improved by me over the last several months. I tried to 'move' it the mainspace, but goofed while doing it. May I request you to kindly consider moving the edited article on Kamla Nath Sharma to the main space, as I am not conversant with the process?Regards, Aaditya.Bahuguna (talk) 12:29, 23 May 2022 (UTC)
@Extraordinary Writ, may I also request you to please 'undo' and revert the wrong change I did of moving the name Kamla Nath Sharma to User Page of Aaditya Bahuguna and moving it back, to go back to status quo of 21 May 2022. I apologize for giving you all this trouble.Aaditya.Bahuguna (talk) 14:57, 23 May 2022 (UTC)
Happy First Edit Day!
|Happy First Edit Day!|
Hi Daniel! On behalf of the Birthday Committee, I'd like to wish you a very happy anniversary of the day you made your first edit and became a Wikipedian! Comr Melody Idoghor (talk) 08:06, 26 May 2022 (UTC)
Invitation to join the Fifteen Year Society
I'd like to extend a cordial invitation to you to join the Fifteen Year Society, an informal group for editors who've been participating in the Wikipedia project for fifteen years or more.
The Signpost: 29 May 2022
- From the team: A changing of the guard
- News and notes: 2022 Wikimedia Board elections
- Community view: Have your say in the 2022 Wikimedia Foundation Board elections
- In the media: Putin, Jimbo, Musk and more
- Special report: Three stories of Ukrainian Wikimedians during the war
- Discussion report: Portals, April Fools, admin activity requirements and more
- WikiProject report: WikiProject COVID-19 revisited
- Technology report: A new video player for Wikimedia wikis
- Featured content: Featured Content of April
- Interview: Wikipedia's pride
- Serendipity: Those thieving image farms
- Recent research: 35 million Twitter links analysed
- Tips and tricks: The reference desks of Wikipedia
- Traffic report: Strange highs and strange lows
- News from Diff: Winners of the Human rights and Environment special nomination by Wiki Loves Earth announced
- News from the WMF: The EU Digital Services Act: What’s the Deal with the Deal?
- From the archives: The Onion and Wikipedia
- Humour: A new crossword
News and updates for administrators from the past month (May 2022).
- Several areas of improvement collated from community member votes have been identified in the Universal Code of Conduct Enforcement guidelines. The areas of improvement have been sent back for review and you are invited to provide input on these areas.
- Administrators using the mobile web interface can now access Special:Block directly from user pages. (T307341)
- The IP Info feature has been deployed to all wikis as a Beta Feature. Any autoconfirmed user may enable the feature using the "IP info" checkbox under Preferences → Beta features. Autoconfirmed users will be able to access basic information about an IP address that includes the country and connection method. Those with advanced privileges (admin, bureaucrat, checkuser) will have access to extra information that includes the Internet Service Provider and more specific location.
- Remedy 2 of the Rachel Marsden case has been rescinded following a motion. The remedy previously authorised administrators to delete or reduce to a stub, together with their talk pages, articles related to Rachel Marsden when they violate Wikipedia's biographies of living persons policy.
- An arbitration case regarding WikiProject Tropical Cyclones has been closed.
The Signpost: 26 June 2022
- News and notes: WMF inks new rules on government-ordered takedowns, blasts Russian feds' censor demands, spends big bucks
- In the media: Editor given three-year sentence, big RfA makes news, Guy Standing takes it sitting down
- Special report: "Wikipedia's independence" or "Wikimedia's pile of dosh"?
- Discussion report: MoS rules on CCP name mulled, XRV axe plea nulled, mass drafting bid pulled
- Featured content: Articles on Scots' clash, Yank's tux, Austrian's action flick deemed brilliant prose
- Recent research: Wikipedia versus academia (again), tables' "immortality" probed
- Serendipity: Was she really a Swiss lesbian automobile racer?
- News from the WMF: Wikimedia Enterprise signs first deals
- Gallery: Celebration of summer, winter
News and updates for administrators from the past month (June 2022).
user_global_editcountis a new variable that can be used in abuse filters to avoid affecting globally active users. (T130439)
- An arbitration case regarding conduct in deletion-related editing has been opened.
- The New Pages Patrol queue has around 10,000 articles to be reviewed. As all administrators have the patrol right, please consider helping out. The queue is here. For further information on the state of the project, see the latest NPP newsletter.
The Signpost: 1 August 2022
- From the editors: Rise of the machines, or something
- News and notes: Information considered harmful
- In the media: Censorship, medieval hoaxes, "pathetic supervillains", FB-WMF AI TL bid, dirty duchess deeds done dirt cheap
- Op-Ed: The "recession" affair
- Eyewitness Wikimedian – Vinnytsia, Ukraine: War diary (part 3)
- Community view: Youth culture and notability
- Opinion: Criminals among us
- Arbitration report: Winds of change blow for cyclone editors, deletion dustup draws toward denouement
- Deletion report: This is Gonzo Country
- Discussion report: Notability for train stations, notices for mobile editors, noticeboards for the rest of us
- Featured content: A little list with surprisingly few lists
- Tips and tricks: Cleaning up awful citations with Citation bot
- On the bright side: Ukrainian Wikimedians during the war — three (more) stories
- Essay: How to research an image
- Recent research: A century of rulemaking on Wikipedia analyzed
- Serendipity: Don't cite Wikipedia
- Gallery: A backstage pass
- From the archives: 2012 Russian Wikipedia shutdown as it happened
News and updates for administrators from the past month (July 2022).
- An RfC has been closed with the consensus that train stations are not inherently notable.
- The Wikimania 2022 Hackathon will take place virtually from 11 August to 14 August.
- Administrators will now see links on user pages for "Change block" and "Unblock user" instead of just "Block user" if the user is already blocked. (T308570)
- The arbitration case request Geschichte has been automatically closed after a 3 month suspension of the case.
- You can vote for candidates in the 2022 Board of Trustees elections from 16 August to 30 August. Two community elected seats are up for election.
- Wikimania 2022 is taking place virtually from 11 August to 14 August. The schedule for wikimania is listed here. There are also a number of in-person events associated with Wikimania around the world.
- Tech tip: When revision-deleting on desktop, hold ⇧ Shift between clicking two checkboxes to select every box in that range.
The Signpost: 31 August 2022
- News and notes: Admins wanted on English Wikipedia, IP editors not wanted on Farsi Wiki, donations wanted everywhere
- Special report: Wikimania 2022: no show, no show up?
- In the media: Truth or consequences? A tough month for truth
- Discussion report: Boarding the Trustees
- News from Wiki Education: 18 years a Wikipedian: what it means to me
- In focus: Thinking inside the box
- Tips and tricks: The unexpected rabbit hole of typo fixing in citations...
- Technology report: Vector (2022) deployment discussions happening now
- Serendipity: Two photos of every library on earth
- Featured content: Our man drills are safe for work, but our Labia is Fausta.
- Recent research: The dollar value of "official" external links
- Traffic report: What dreams (and heavily trafficked articles) may come
- Essay: Delete the junk!
- Humour: CommonsComix No. 1
- From the archives: 5, 10, and 15 years ago
News and updates for administrators from the past month (August 2022).
- A discussion is open to define a process by which Vector 2022 can be made the default for all users.
- An RfC is open to gain consensus on whether Fox News is reliable for science and politics.
- The impact report on the effects of disabling IP editing on the Persian (Farsi) Wikipedia has been released.
- The WMF is looking into making a Private Incident Reporting System (PIRS) system to improve the reporting of harmful incidents through easier and safer reporting. You can leave comments on the talk page by answering the questions provided. Users who have faced harmful situations are also invited to join a PIRS interview to share the experience. To sign up please email Madalina Ana.
- An arbitration case regarding Conduct in deletion-related editing has been closed. The Arbitration Committee passed a remedy as part of the final decision to create a request for comment (RfC) on how to handle mass nominations at Articles for Deletion (AfD).
- The arbitration case request Jonathunder has been automatically closed after a 6 month suspension of the case.
- The new pages patrol (NPP) team has prepared an appeal to the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) for assistance with addressing Page Curation bugs and requested features. You are encouraged to read the open letter before it is sent, and if you support it, consider signing it. It is not a discussion, just a signature will suffice.
- Voting for candidates for the Wikimedia Board of Trustees is open until 6 September.
Please vote in the 2022 Wikimedia Foundation Inc. Board of Trustees election
Hello hello. I hope this message finds you well.
Hope you're well
Haven't seen you around recently—hopefully all is well. I just wanted to say that you've been missed and that I hope you'll be back when time allows: we sure do appreciate the work of thoughtful closers such as yourself. Cheers, Extraordinary Writ (talk) 06:37, 17 September 2022 (UTC)
Deletion review for The Upstairs Downstairs Bears
An editor has asked for a deletion review of The Upstairs Downstairs Bears. Because you closed the deletion discussion for this page, speedily deleted it, or otherwise were interested in the page, you might want to participate in the deletion review. Modernponderer (talk) 13:15, 17 September 2022 (UTC)